Your kids will have a blast reading The Cat in the Hat with these Thing 1 and Thing 2 paper bag puppets. With the free printable template, these puppets make a great craft project for kids in preschool or kindergarten.
When you think about Dr. Seuss books, the first thing that comes to your mind is probably The Cat in the Hat. And the classic story of a strange cat making a huge mess will not be complete without the cat’s troublemaking friends – Thing 1 and Thing 2!
The two silly characters may be mischievous, but they are also adorable. They remind me of my kids as they run around the house playing tag and knocking over everything in the way.
These Thing One and Thing Two paper bag puppets are easy to make and fun to play with. Even preschoolers and kindergarteners will have no problem creating these puppets with the free printable templates. They are the perfect craft to go along with The Cat and the Hat, and your kids can even use the puppets to reenact the scenes from the book.
Feel free to pick and choose which face you would prefer for Thing 1 and Thing 2. They are twins, after all! The only difference in the templates is that one face is smiling while the other is making a silly expression.
Thing 1 and Thing 2 Puppets Craft
- Free Thing 1 and Thing 2 paper bag puppet template
- Blue, white, and orange construction paper or cardstock
- Brown paper bag
- Glue stick
- White chalk marker (optional)
1. Download and print out the free Thing 1 and Thing 2 puppets template. You want to print out the Thing 1 and Thing 2 faces and chest logos on white paper, hair on blue paper, and body on red paper. If you are making both Thing One and Thing Two, make sure you print out two copies of the hair and body template patterns.
I am going to show you how to make Thing 1 in the step-by-step instructions below, but you can simply repeat the instructions for Thing 2. The only difference between the two puppets is the face and chest logo.
2. Cut out all the template patterns with scissors.
3. Glue the red body cutout to the main portion of the brown paper bag.
4. Glue the face cutout to the center of the brown paper bag flap. Take the hair cutout and glue it to the flap as well, around the face cutout. Note that the hair cutout will overlap the top of the face cutout slightly.
Glue the chest logo to the middle of the body cutout.
5. Using the white chalk marker, add white highlights to the body and the hair as shown in the picture below. This will help the Dr. Seuss paper bag puppet look more realistic.
You are done with the Thing 1 paper bag puppet! Simply follow the same steps to make the Thing 2 puppet.
If you are a huge fan of The Cat in the Hat, you may want to make some fun Dr. Seuss bookmarks to go with the books. Head over to The Cat in the Hat Bookmark post to get a free printable bookmark that your kids can cut out and color. Want more of the troublesome twins? You can make Thing 1 and Thing 2 bookmarks from construction paper.
Last but not least, your kids will love creating the Cat in the Hat with his popular red and white stovepipe hat. There wouldn’t be Thing 1 and 2 without the Cat in the Hat who brought them in a box!