Have you ever made Chinese lanterns for Chinese New Year? This pumpkin toilet paper roll lantern uses the same concept, but we will draw a scary face for the jack-o’-lantern!
The best part about the pumpkin lantern is that you can hang them up and make a garland or hang them on tree branches for outdoor decor. Perfect for the fall season and Halloween!
How to Make Pumpkin Toilet Paper Roll Lantern
- Toilet paper roll
- Orange and green construction paper
- Black marker
- Glue stick or tape
- Black marker
1. Measure a piece of orange construction paper that would be long and wide enough to wrap the toilet paper roll.
2. Cut out the orange construction paper and use a glue stick to adhere the paper to the toilet paper roll.
3. Cut out a piece of orange construction paper that can wrap around the toilet paper roll but is slightly longer than the height of the roll.
4. Position the paper so that the top and bottom will match the top and bottom of the cardboard tube. Fold the paper in half but turning the bottom half upward.
5. Draw a horizontal line approximately 1 cm from the top.
6. Draw lines about 1 cm apart from the horizontal line to the bottom of the paper. If you feel comfortable cutting freehand, you can skip this step.
7. Open up the paper and draw your jack-o’-lantern face with a black marker. I recommend keeping the eyes and nose above the fold and the mouth below the fold.
8. Refold the paper.
9. Cut along the lines from the folded side to the horizontal line.
10. Unfold the paper. The paper should have vertical slits along the middle.
11. Glue the top and bottom of the paper to the toilet paper roll.
12. Cut two strips out of the green construction paper that can wrap around the cardboard tube. One should be wider than the other.
13. Glue and wrap the narrower strip around the bottom of the toilet paper roll.
14. Cut zig zaps along the other green strip, leaving about a 1 cm gap at the top. You can draw the lines prior to cutting if desired.
15. Glue and wrap the remaining green strip to the top of the toilet paper roll.
16. Cut out a strip from the green construction paper for the handle. You can determine how long you want the handle to be.
17. Tape or glue the ends of the paper handle to the inside of the toilet paper roll.
How did your pumpkin lanterns turn out? Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty easy to make one. You can make a few with different faces and hang them on trees or decorate any tables.
If you enjoy this craft, make sure to check out these other fun Halloween crafts: