Are you looking for an adorable cow craft to go along with your farm animal lesson plan? Here is an easy paper cow craft that you can do with your kids.
One of the first things we teach our toddlers is farm animals and what noises they make. My kids always loved the cow because “Moo!” is so fun to say!
This cute cow craft is perfect for kids who adore the farm animal that provides us with milk and other things that help us survive. You can use this farm animal craft to teach your preschooler about the different types of cows. Did you know that Holsteins are the black and white cows, and Jerseys are the brown cows? Holsteins produce more milk than the Jerseys, but the Jerseys produce creamier milk.
And this year happens to be the year of the ox in the Chinese zodiac. This cow craft can be used as a Chinese New Year craft since the Chinese word niú (牛) can be interpreted as cows and bulls as well.
You can also use this paper cow craft as part of your preschool alphabet lessons – C is for Cow. My 4 years old can remember the phonics so much better when there are activities to go along with the lessons.
As you can see, there are so many ways you can use this cow craft. Read on to get the free cow template and steps to make this adorable cow.
Cow Craft for Kids
- Free cow craft template
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Black marker or Sharpie
1. Download and print out the cow craft template. Cut out all the template patterns.
2. Trace the head, body, outer ears, and tail patterns on white paper. Trace the inner ears and bottom of the head patterns on pink colored construction paper. Trace the spots, tail tip, and hoof patterns on brown or black construction paper (depends on which type of cow you want to make). Trace the horns on light brown construction paper.
Cut out all the template patterns.
3. Glue the inner ear patterns on the outer ear patterns. Glue the tail tip cutout on either side of the tail cutout. Glue the hoof cutouts on the hoof parts of the body pattern. Glue the semi-circular pink cutout on the bottom side of the head pattern.
4. Glue the horns on the top side of the head pattern. Glue the ear patterns on both sides of the horns.
5. Attach the head spot cutout on the top left side of the head pattern. Glue the body spot cutouts on the body pattern. If the spots are not contouring the head and body cutouts exactly, use scissors to trim the spots along the edges of the head and body cutout.
6. Attach the tail pattern on either side of the body pattern. Glue the eye cutouts near the top side of the head pattern.
7. Attach the head pattern on the top side of the body pattern.
8. Use a black marker or a Sharpie to draw the mouth and the nose on the pink part of the head. You can decide what expression you want your cow to have!
What kind of cow did you make? This cow craft was so cute that we decided to make one with brown spots and another with black spots!
And of course, if your kids want to go wild and make pink or blue spots, or even rainbow spots … why not? There is no limit to their imagination!
As we wind down the day, a popular children’s nursery rhyme came to mind:
Hey, diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon.