Learn how to make an origami heart with this easy tutorial. We will show you how to make a paper heart out of a square piece of paper and out of a dollar bill.
Origami hearts are a great way to show someone they’re loved. They’re also really easy to make, and you can do it with paper that comes from your recycling bin!
All you need is one sheet of paper and about 10 minutes. It’s a relaxing way to create something beautiful as well as a gift anyone would love.
Of course, if you are making a paper origami heart to give to someone special on Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day, you may want to use a higher quality paper than something out of your recycling bin. You can use colorful origami paper with intricate designs, or as you will discover below, a dollar bill!
Where Did Origami Originate?
Folding paper into hearts isn’t a new idea, and origami itself started a long time ago. Some people think that the art of paper folding originated in China, while others believe it came from Japan.
No matter where it started, people have been using their artistic talents to fold beautiful crafts out of paper for centuries!
Today’s version of origami is all about creativity and adding your own personal touch. The heart is one of the most popular origami designs, along with flowers, animals, and other fun shapes.
Origami also remains a Japanese tradition to this day. For example, in Japan, it’s common to give origami gifts on December 10th for Girls’ Day or March 3rd for Boys’ Day.
Other types of paper folding like kirigami and zakka also enjoy a great deal of popularity, as well as the traditional art of origami.
How to Fold an Origami Heart
Origami is the traditional Japanese art of folding paper into different shapes. Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to make an origami heart with one sheet of paper.
List of Supplies:
- Origami paper, craft paper, or any piece of paper you have around
- Glue stick
Origami Heart Instructions:
1. Select a square piece of paper for this origami heart craft. We’re using a 6″x6″ piece of paper for our origami heart tutorial.
Take the square paper and fold it in half by joining two opposing corners together to create a crease. Unfold the paper.
Fold the paper in half again by joining the other two opposing corners together. Unfold completely.
2. Fold the top corner of the paper downward so that the tip touches the center point of the square paper (where the 2 creases intersect).
3. Fold the bottom corner upward so that the tip touches the center of the opposite side of the paper.
4. Fold the right bottom side along the vertical crease to meet the top corner of the upright triangle.
5. Similarly, fold the left bottom side up along the vertical crease.
6. Flip the paper over to the other side.
7. Fold the left and right corners along the inner edge. Fold the 2 top corners down to the edge made by the top flap fold. Apply glue to secure these 4 folds.
8. Flip the paper heart to the other side again. You are done making the origami heart craft!
How to Make an Origami Heart with Money
If you’d like to impress your friends and family, here are some simple instructions on how to make an origami heart out of a dollar bill.
Folding money isn’t much different than using a sheet of paper or even sticky note origami, but it is a bit different since you’re starting with a rectangle instead of a square.
The origami heart tutorial below uses a one-dollar bill, but feel free to use any other bill. I am sure no one will complain about receiving a paper heart made out of a Benjamin!
1. Take a dollar bill and place it on a flat surface. If it’s creased or bent, try to flatten it out as much as possible.
2. Fold the dollar bill in half horizontally and then vertically to create creases. Unfold completely.
Fold the bottom 1/3 portion of the bill upward.
3. Fold the right side of the dollar bill upward, aligning the bottom edge of the right side with the middle, vertical crease made in the previous step.
4. Similarly, fold up the left side of the dollar bill.
5. Flip the current dollar bill pattern over to the other side.
6. Fold down the upper half of the top section of the dollar bill pattern to make a crease and then unfold.
7. Fold the 2 outer corners of the top side down and align them with the crease made in the previous step.
8. Similarly, fold the inner top corners of the dollar bill pattern down and align them with the crease.
9. Flip the dollar bill over. You completed the dollar bill origami heart!
How to Make an Origami Heart Unique
One of the best things about this paper folding craft is how many options you have to make each paper heart special.
If the person you want to give the heart to has a favorite color, use colored paper to make your creative craft more unique.
You can also use printed scrapbook paper for a fun look that works with a holiday or special occasion.
Fold an origami heart out of a dollar bill (or several) for a unique spin on giving a monetary gift. Take it a step further and fill a glass jar with folded dollar bill origami for a unique gift anyone would love to receive!
Another way to use an origami heart is for a sweet bookmark. Every time your loved one opens their book, the colorful folded heart is there on the corner of the pages, reminding them that you’re their biggest fan.
I hope you enjoyed learning about the traditional Japanese art of folding paper into different shapes. It’s an enjoyable way to spend time with friends and family while giving them a thoughtful handmade gift that will be treasured for years.
Whether you’re looking to give someone their first origami heart or their hundredth, each one is unique and a beautiful gift they will love!