Fluffy 3-Ingredient Cloud Bread

This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.

Have you heard of cloud bread? When I was trying out the keto diet, I made cloud bread as substitutes for hamburger buns. Recently a fluffier version of the cloud bread came out, and we just had to try it! 

Fluffy Cloud Bread Two Halves

The basic idea for both the keto and TikTok cloud bread is to whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Just like what we saw with whipped cream, something that is liquid somehow transforms into a solid. How does this happen?

Below, you will find how to make the light-than-cloud bread using only 3 ingredients, and the science behind it!

How to Make Fluffy Cloud Bread


  • 3 egg whites
  • 2.5 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • Vanilla extract (optional)
  • Food coloring (optional)
  • Parchment paper
  • Baking sheet


  1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
  2. Pour the egg whites into a mixing bowl.
  3. Add vanilla and a couple of drops of food coloring if using.
  4. Whisk the egg white with a stand mixer or hand-held mixer on medium speed.
  5. When the egg white is frothy, gradually add the sugar and cornstarch.
  6. Continue to whisk on high until stiff peaks form.
  7. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
  8. Carefully scoop out the whipped egg whites on the parchment paper and shape it into whatever shape you want. 
  9. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Fluffy Cloud Bread
Fluffy Cloud Bread Halves

Doesn’t it look like a fluffy pillow? I just want to lie my head on it and sleep. Trust me, mommy could use a nap.

But since the kids will never leave me alone for more than 2 seconds, we will eat the cloud bread instead. They were so amazed that egg white could turn into something so airy and light!

What Does Cloud Bread Taste Like?

Personally, I like the cloud bread. It reminds me of eating a giant marshmallow but not as sweet. Even though the recipe resembles a meringue, the cloud bread is a lot softer. 

You can taste the egg in the cloud bread, which I can imagine some people not liking. I like the eggy taste myself.

Warning: The cloud bread does NOT taste like bread and the texture is nothing like bread. I would say it reminds me more of a chiffon cake, but even lighter and not as sweet.

Science Behind the Fluffy Cloud Bread

The unique makeup of egg whites makes meringue, and sponge cake, and cloud bread possible. Let’s dive deeper.

An egg white is about 90% water. The remaining 10% is almost all protein, with traces of minerals and vitamins. Proteins are composed of long chains of hundreds or thousands of amino acids.

Some amino acids are water-loving (hydrophilic), while others are water-fearing (hydrophobic). When you whisk the egg white, you introduce air and unravel the proteins from their naturally coiled state. 

The hydrophilic amino acids immerse themselves in the water and the hydrophobic amino acids escape to the air bubbles. The hydrophobic amino acids link together to form nets around the air bubbles to prevent them from popping.

As you continue to whisk the egg white, more protein-coated air bubbles are formed. This causes the egg white to gain volume and expand to take up more space. 

Unfortunately, the air bubbles cannot stand alone and will collapse without something to help keep the foam. That’s why we add sugar! Sugar helps more amino acids gather on the surface of the air bubbles, leading to a more stable cloud bread.  

Fluffy Cloud Bread Closeup

What is the role of the cornstarch then? If you ever tried baking meringue, you might have experienced “weeping” or “sweating” meringue. Meaning, your meringue might have looked like it just ran a marathon and has a puddle underneath. This is because sugar is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air.

Adding just a tablespoon of cornstarch helps absorb any liquid left in the cloud bread. This helps give the cloud bread its fluffiness and pillow-like appearance.

Fluffy Cloud Bread in Hand


I have to say, I don’t really get TikTok. I don’t really understand the appeal of recording random dances for strangers to see. However, once in awhile TikTok comes up with something brilliant like this 3-ingredient cloud bread that I am thankful for.

If you are intimidated by meringue, give this cloud bread a try instead. It’s super simple with only egg whites, sugar, and cornstarch. Two tips: Use superfine sugar and do not get any yolk in the egg whites. That will ensure you make a fluffy cloud bread without any lumps.


Fluffy Cloud Bread Pin

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top