Here is a fun and easy activity for Cars fans! Using simple materials, you can create cute characters from the movie with these Disney Pixar Cars popsicle stick crafts.
We are on the second day of our Disney-themed week. We had a lot of fun with the Moana popsicle stick canoe yesterday, but my son is insisting we do something more “for men” today.
And what’s more manly than cars? Okay maybe superheroes, but we will get to that in a couple of days.
My son adores Lightning McQueen and thinks Mater is hilarious (who doesn’t?). So he was super excited to make these adorable Disney Pixar Cars popsicle stick crafts of his favorite characters.
How to Make Disney Cars Craft
- 14 red popsicle sticks
- 14 orange popsicle sticks (unless you happen to have dark brown popsicle sticks)
- Brown marker
- White, blue, black, green, and brown construction papers
- Hot glue gun
- Glue stick
- Optional: magnetic squares
How to Make Lightning McQueen Popsicle Stick Craft
1. Place 8 red popsicle sticks side by side.
2. Take the remaining 6 red popsicle sticks and glue them perpendicular to the others on the lower half using a hot glue gun.
3. Take the white construction paper and line up one edge with the left outer edge of the 8 red popsicle sticks. Press lightly down on the paper along the right outer edge of the 8 popsicle sticks. Now you know how wide you should cut the paper for the eyes.
4. Cut out the eyes and mouths of Lightning McQueen and Mater. You can use mine as models, or you can look up pictures of the characters in the movie and cut the eyes and mouths accordingly.
5. Glue the eyes and mouths to the popsicle sticks using a glue stick.
6. Cut out the wheels of the cars using black and white construction paper. You don’t need the full wheel, just the bottom half (so you just need to cut out a semi-circle).
7. Roll the glue stick over the straight part of the wheels and insert them in between the popsicle sticks on the bottom.
How to Make Mater Popsicle Stick Craft
1. Repeat all the steps above for Mater, except the following:
- Use a brown marker and color all the orange popsicle sticks brown.
- Mater has green eyes versus Lightning McQueen’s blue eyes.
- Mater has buck teeth!
2. Using brown construction paper, cut out the rearview mirrors for Mater. Use a glue stick and glue them on the sides of Mater’s eyes.
3. Cut out one white headlight and one brown headlight for Mater. One of his headlights is broken, hence the different colors.
Note: I omitted the white part of the wheels for Mater because he had really dirty rims in the movie.
When you are done with both Lightning McQueen and Mater, you can stick magnetic squares to the backs of these cars and use them as refrigerator magnets!
Aren’t these adorable? They are perfect to hang up my kids’ artwork on the fridge. And with the way summer camp is going, there are going to be a lot of things to hang up!
Final Thoughts on the Disney Pixar Cars Popsicle Stick Craft
These Disney Pixar Cars popsicle stick crafts are perfect for birthday parties for your little Cars fans. Or if you plan a family movie night watching Cars DVD, this is a great activity to get your kids pumped up for the film.
Popsicle stick Lightning McQueen and Mater are so lovable and easy to make. I think this is going to be the beginning of many popsicle stick character crafts to come!
Meanwhile, make sure you check out: