Your kids will love welcoming winter and celebrating Christmas with these easy and fun DIY popsicle stick snowflake ornaments that they can hang on the Christmas tree!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
The most exciting day in history is here, at least for kids everywhere. Frozen 2 is out in theaters!
To celebrate the showing of my kids’ favorite movie of all time, we are making popsicle stick snowflake ornaments today!
The beauty of these snowflakes is that after you hot glue the craft sticks together to form the snowflake shape, your kids can decorate them to whatever their hearts desire. Using their imagination and creativity, your kids can decorate the snowflake ornaments with stickers, glitter, pom poms, sequins, and whatever else you have around the house!
How to Make a Popsicle Stick Snowflake Ornament
Popsicle or craft sticks(we happen to have colored ones leftover from the popsicle stick catapult, but you can use plain ones as well)
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- String or twine
- Gem stickers (optional)
Tinsel pom poms(optional) Acrylic gems(optional)
Step-by-Step Instructions for the Popsicle Stick Snowflake Ornament
- Hot glue your popsicle sticks together to form the shape of a snowflake. Put a little drop of hot glue in the middle of one popsicle. Press the middle of another popsicle stick on to the glue and hold for a few seconds until the hot glue sets.
- Continue with two more popsicle sticks.
- Turn the popsicle snowflake around and put a small drop of hot glue at the end of one popsicle stick. Carefully (it’s hot!) press the two ends of the string or twine on the glue and wait a few seconds while the glue sets.
- The fun part! Give your kids the popsicle snowflake ornament and let them decorate!
- Instead of using glitter and glue and risk getting glitter everywhere, use glitter glue instead.
- The pom poms don’t like to stay on the popsicle sticks with regular Elmer’s glue. Even if your kid has the patience to wait until the glue dries, they might still fall off when you touch them. If that’s the case, use the hot glue gun for the pom poms.
- If your kid is using sequins or the acrylic gems, show her how just a little dab of glue is enough. Otherwise, the glue will seep out underneath the sequins or gems. The gem stickers are much easier to use than the acrylic gems for toddlers since you can just stick them directly on the popsicle sticks.
How Many Snowflake Ornaments Did You End Up With?
If your kids are like mine, they will not be satisfied after making just one snowflake ornament. After all, there are so many ways to decorate them! So how many did your kids end up making?