My kids have been obsessed with making paper fortune tellers. They would make at least one per day ever since they learned how to make it.
And why not! They are super fun to play with and easy to make.
Learn how to fold the origami fortune teller and find out all the fun things you can write in it below!
How to Fold an Origami Fortune Teller
- Origami paper or any square paper
1. Fold the paper vertically to make a crease. Unfold.
2. Fold the paper horizontally to make another crease. Unfold.
3. Fold the paper diagonally to form a triangle. Unfold and then fold diagonally the other way. Unfold completely.
4. Take the corners and fold them to the center point of the paper where all the lines cross.
5. Flip the paper over.
6. Write the fortunes on each of the small triangles.
7. Take the corners and fold them to the center point of the paper where all the lines cross. (I forgot to take a picture before I did this step so you see the creases from where I folded the corners).
8. Write numbers on the 8 small triangles, numbers 1 through 8.
9. Flip the paper fortune teller over.
10. Write the name of different colors on the 4 squares. You can pick whatever colors you like.
11. Fold the paper fortune teller an half and slide your thumbs and index fingers underneath the squares.
12. Your origami paper fortune teller is ready to determine your fate!
How to Play with the Origami Fortune Teller
You can use the paper fortune teller to play all kinds of different games with your kids. Here are some suggestions:
- Different exercises such as “run around the sofa 5 times” or “hop like a bunny 10 times.”
- Various healthy snack items.
- Simple house chores.
- Favorite books for quiet reading time.
Whatever you choose to write in the paper fortune teller, you can use the following rules to play the game:
- Ask your child for his favorite color.
- Alternate opening the fortune teller from up and down to left and right while spelling out the color (ex. B-L-A-C-K).
- Ask your child to pick a number out of the 4 numbers visible when you stopped on the last letter.
- Alternate opening the fortune teller the number of times based on the number your child chose in the previous step.
- Ask your child to pick a number out of the 4 numbers visible when you stopped on the last number.
- Lift the flap to expose the message underneath.
- Read the fortune out loud!
We love using the origami fortune teller to determine our fate for various tasks around the house. My kids tend to resist less when their chores are told to them by the paper fortune teller than mommy.
We also enjoy using the fortune teller for fun exercises! The kids are so out of breath after doing frog jumps, sprints, and crab walks!
YOU MAY LIKE: